I’ve been doing the thankful challenge for 30 days now. Yesterday, I had a bad day. I wasn’t feeling grateful for anything. So, I decided to honor my feelings and write an ungrateful list.
I’m NOT GRATEFUL for…
- Scorpions that don’t die when you try to kill them.
- Students that turn in all their overdue work and then expect me to have everything graded by the end of the hour.
- Dropped cell phone calls
- A cold Achoo!
- The bill from the dental office
- Ants who decide to bite you when you are mowing the lawn.
- Lawns that don’t mow themselves.
- The blender decided to break when I was trying to make a smoothie.
- Bad dreams
- Good dreams that you wake up from and realize that it was just a dream. I really wanted the ability to fly.
The list goes on and on. I made a list of 50 things. It was super easy to think of things. The more I thought about being ungrateful the more stuff popped into my head that was wrong with my life. Here’s are a few of my favorite ones from the list.
22. I’m not a millionaire.
37. French fries have calories in them.
48. All the bad stuff that I see on the news
I learned that it was a lot easier to be ungrateful than grateful. It takes work to be grateful. That was actually ungrateful item #50 from the list.
50. Being grateful takes too much work.
After I wrote out all 50 items, I read them out loud in my most annoyed voice in front of the mirror. I felt like a little girl who had been caught doing something naughty. It was so much fun to be unthankful. I gave myself permission to get upset about all the little annoyances and big grievances in my life. It was fun. You should try it sometime.
Today I’m grateful that I can be ungrateful and still laugh about it.